Legal Action for Women are holding their next monthly protest outside the Family Court in Holborn next Wednesday, 3rd July.
The protests are designed to highlight discrimination experienced by single mothers in poverty when going through the UK’s family courts.
Their latest update offers the following information:
“Mothers and children are legally entitled to financial and other support to stay together but they are not getting it. Instead millions are spent tearing children away from their families. Poverty and domestic violence are not ‘neglect’.”
- Women are primary carers in 90% of households. 28% of children live in poverty.
- There are more children ‘in care’ now than at any time since 1985 – 75,420 by 2018.
- Children from poor areas are 10 times more likely to be taken.
- Of families whose children are taken, 75% are single mothers.
- 90% of adoptions are without parental consent.
- While mothers are denied support, it costs £56k p.a. to keep a child ‘in care’.
- 0-90% of court cases feature domestic abuse yet less than 1% of child contact applications are refused.”
The demonstration will run from 12.30-1.30pm, and will take place at 42-49 High Holborn, London WC1V 6NP.
You can access LAW’s blog here.